Clinical research is an attractive& very prospective job oriented industry for researchers like (Biotechnology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Genetic Research)because it foresees tremendous growth and job opportunities not only for trained medical, pharmaceutical and paramedical professionals, but also for project management staff, regulatory authorities, government and the society at large. With the inflow of multinational players in Indian & Global clinical research, the industry is poised to grow exponentially and open new vistas of employment for a large number of people in INDIA with major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Hyderabad& Kochi.
Candidates can build their careers in the fields of
- Contract Research Organizations (CRO)
- Pharmaceutical Industries
- Clinical Data Management
- Regulatory Affairs
- Medical Writing
- Site Management Organisations
- Patient Recruitment Organisations (PRO)
- Central Lab
- Research Sites
- Auditing of Clinical Trials
Other companies & service providers
- Biotechnology Companies
- Medical Device Company
- Logistics and Courier Services for Clinical use.
“Industry” Clinical Research is conducted by the Pharmaceuticals, Biotech and Medical Device companies. They often outsource their work to Contract Research Organizations (CRO Company). The CRO perform the clinical trial on behalf of the company in collaboration with the Site / Hospital or SMO (Site Management Organization).
Other types of research (“non-industry”) may be conducted by universities, non-profit organizations, and charities. These groups may also sometimes employ CROs to perform some trial activities, but are perhaps more likely to run activities themselves, focusing on building local research capacity.
Options for research careers
Every clinical study is led by a principal investigator. These investigators can be researchers, professors, medical practitioners and scientists/ medical specialists. Besides them, clinical studies may also have a research team that may include nurses, social workers and other health care professionals.
Varied options are available in the field of Clinical Research, as follows:
- Clinical Research Associate
- Clinical Research Managers (CRM)
- Clinical Research Investigator/ Physician
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Clinical Data Manager
- Data clerk
- Account Directors
- Clinical Auditors
- Contract Managers
- Drug Safety Scientist
- Regulatory Affairs Manager
- Research Nurse
- Research training manager
- Research site manager
- Clinical Research Counsellor
- Clinical Research Auditor
- Pharmacovigilance Manager
- Quality Assurance (QA)
- Project Manager
- Laboratory staff
Career opportunities in clinical research is based on the academic qualification of the individuals. Some common career paths in India are outlined below:
- Doctors (MBBS/BDS/Other Medicines)- Doctors are appointed in Clinical trials as Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator, Medical Advisor, Drug Developers, Regulatory Affairs Manager, Clinical Research Physician.
- Pharmacists, Life Science graduates, Science postgraduates in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, Genetic Research – They are appointed as Site Coordinators, Clinical Research Associate, Medical writers, Clinical Research Manager and Drug Development Associate, Biostatistician, Clinical Data Management, Quality assurance.
Note: Life science students who are more looking towards research PHD / M-Phil which will really take a log time to start the prospective carrier which can some-times also lead to unsuccessful research after a long run of research. Students who are interested to work in an research environment with benefit of salary and research knowledge it will be good start to start a carrier in the field of Clinical research as soon after the graduation or Post graduation without awaiting for a long wait to start the carrier.
- Management Graduates (MBA) – MBA graduates sometimes enter areas of Business Development, Clinical Project Management, Clinical Research Management, Regulatory Affair Management,
- Nursing graduates – research Nursing, sometimes moving into other areas such as trial managers, Site Coordinators, Clinical Research Associate, Medical writers, Clinical Research Manager and Drug Development Associate, Biostatistician, Clinical Data Management, Quality assurance.
IT professionals, Biostatistician, Engineers, postgraduates in Maths, Applied Maths, operational Research, Statistics – These professionals can find opening as Clinical Data Manager, Drug Development Associate
What is the total worth of the industry in India presently?
The global clinical research industry is worth more than US $52 billion. The global pharmaceutical market is estimated at US $427 billion and research and development cost is estimated at US $60-65 billion annually. Two-third of this amount is spent on drug development i.e. approximately US $40 billion. Clinical trials involve almost 70% of time and money of new drug development. The cost of conducting clinical trials for a new drug is approximately US $200-250 million. Clinical research industry has grown around the world at an unparalleled rate in the past few years. It has opened up new vistas of employment for a large number of people.
If you found this article informative. Share it on your Facebook profile, Linkedin, Twitter, Instagram.